Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Diva Challenge # 142: " Comfort/Danger Zone"

When I saw what the Challenge was I had a pretty good idea of what direction I would take. I agree with Shelly Beauch's comment that there may be a lot of black tiles. Interestingly enough, I used a black tile with both challenges this week.  The challenges for me with this, more than the black tile, is using color and I have never used a zendala tile without a template. A couple of months ago I read a post by Alice Hendon about free hand zendalas. Like a number of things, I had plans of trying it but never got around to it. This was the push I needed. If you want information about the process, you can go to Alice's blog, The Creator's Leaf to check it out. There are two posts. The previous link goes to the first post. Here is a link to the second one. I did not follow all her steps but it was helpful in starting. If I have time I would like to do one one the white zendala tile and make it solely organic. I was not at a place where I could take pictures of the process at different steps, but you can probably get a general idea of what the template looks like from looking at the gold outlines. I was surprised by how easy the template came together. It was a little harder deciding what tangles to use in each space. The markers were used primarily for fill although I did use it for the Zander variation section. Well enough rambling. I really did enjoy doing this even though my anxiety about how it would turn out was a little elevated. I was pleased with the process and the result. I hope you enjoy it.



Tangles used: Rosetta, Tipple, Paradox, Mooka, Zander Betweed, S-pattern flower.
I thought I had put this in the original post, but after reading it more closely it must have been a "senior moment". I used Sakura Gelly Roll Metallic pens. The fill was done with Permapaque Opague Pigment Markers, Metallic Plus Set. Sorry I left this out earlier.

I chose this photo because it did show the colors a little better. Since it was taken with flash, it is almost too bright. I liked the way the center rosetta looked and this was the best representation. 

I am anxious to begin looking at what others have done. I have not looked at them, mostly due to time, as I do not think there would be as much influence as with other challenges. 

Thanks for visiting. As always, comments are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.

Go Tangle !!


27 comments:

  1. this turned out great! that center medallion section is beautiful and i really like the colors you chose - they work well together and complement the tangles well. wasn't this fun? now, i need to go do another one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It really was fun once I got started. Like anything new, there is that initial inertia/apprehension that have to get through.

      Delete
  2. Very nice design and well done. The colors look good on the black tile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Colors are a challenge to me. I did recently pick up a color wheel that has been a big help.

      Delete
  3. I always love metal on black, and this piece is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The metallic gold really does stand out. I guess the muted colors the the markers to provide a nice contrast.

      Delete
  4. I really like the zendala you came up with, and I too love the center section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The center piece just popped out when I added the fill.

      Delete
  5. I do like this zendala, there are great colors used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Donald, this is simply lovely. Also, thanks for the link to The Creator's Leaf - I'm anxious to try free-hand zendala making myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad you are going to try it. Will look for a post of what you come up with.

      Delete
  7. Great use of color and a wonderful Zendala, Donald. I like it! NancyD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess the color thing is getting better, but it may always be a challenge to me.

      Delete
  8. Wow this is a great zendala! I admire the colors, and even more that you didn't use a template for your zendala. It turned to be very good! My compliments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The hardest part was trying to get the start as close to the center as I could. After that it really became ways that I could build off of it. It was a little easier since I did not do any concentric circles. Those would have been tougher freehand.

      Delete
  9. Donald I am glad you used the black tile too! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am a little surprised that there were not more black tiles. I am not sure if it means people are getting more comfortable with them or it is still too big a plunge.

      Delete
  10. You went deep into your Danger Zone with this tile. It's super.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful zendala! Especially because it´s a free hand zendala. Lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The colors I think will always be a challenge for me. You should try the free hand. It was not as hard as I thought it would be.

      Delete
  12. Beautifully done and I love the way the colour looks on your black tile! I've tried some colour on black paper which didn't show so well, so now you've inspired me to maybe try again with those black zendala tiles I have tucked away…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of it could be the pens that you use, or more the style. The plain white gel pens will show up. My experience is that the other color gel pens need to be metallic or have some highlighting feature to show up. The plain colored Gelly Roll pens do not show up so much. The Permapaque markers colors tend to be a little more muted. The gold and silver Gelly Roll Metallic are very sharp.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.