Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Diva Challenge #211: Unchallenge/Challenge - Flux

Was not sure what to label this post as usually I just use what The Diva puts on her blog. For a brief time it looked like there would not be a challenge this week due to medical complications for her youngest son. She chose to use the recent Zentangle® post on Flux. So that became the Challenge. I remember the two different ways of doing Flux in my CZT seminar. I taught both versions in my basic class as a way to reinforce there are no mistakes and step outs are a guideline to doing a tangle. Most people get a chuckle that the developers of Zentangle have two different ways of doing Flux. Kind of relaxes them that what they do does not have to match what I illustrate. I explain as like different fonts that you might use on a computer. some fonts have commas and quotation marks that look like Maria's Flux. Others look like Rick's version. Both get recognized as the same thing. That is the same for both versions of Flux.

 I enjoy flux and use it quite a bit. I tend to do Rick's version as it just seems to flow better for me. I did try a  little different form of Maria's version and I felt better about it. As with a number of tiles, although it is decreasing, the most difficult part of this tile was the shading. Part of this is that there was not a lot of white space. My first reaction was that the tile was too busy. It is more appealing the more I look at it. Anyway, here is what I came up with, I hope you enjoy it.



Tangles used: Flux, Tipple, Fescu, & Zinger
Shading was done with 2B pencil

Got this done a day earlier than I usually do. Hopefully I can spend some time looking at the other tiles posted this week. Strongly encourage you to look at what is on I am the Diva. Would also encourage you to try it yourself. Join in and post what you come up with. The people that post and look at the pieces of art are pretty supportive of everyone.

Thanks for visiting. As always, comments are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.

Go Tangle !!

17 comments:

  1. I really like this tile. I think there is an adequate amount of white space as it allows one to see the composition of the Rick Flux border with the Maria Flux sprouting out of the corners to frame the Fescu/Zinger dance in the middle of the tile. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thought of you Donald, to do this 2 version of the tangle in class to comfort the participants with, the idea of it doesn't heave to look just like the teachers. Never thought of it in that way, thanks for the tip. Your tile looks great, and the 2 versions are a perfect brother-sister couple together. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Zinger in the middle of Flux!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea to show your class different versions of the same tangle. So often we get caught up in doing it "right" that we forget that the way we're doing it is exactly "right". Thanks for the reminder - and the lovely tile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shading, lovely tile (not to busy to me!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Rick's version mostly too...can never get my commas to look quite nice on Maria's version, but I truly like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the balance here, with the broad openness of the flux leaves, contrasted with the smaller samples of tipple in the background, and the delicate fescu and zinger in the middle of everything. The shapes are lovely. The delicate aura around all the flux. A very nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donald, this is really nice! I agree about the difficulty in dealing with the white space, but I love how your tiny Tipple pattern has an almost tailored, tweedy look that provides just the right contrast. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you used both flux designs...although I think they should change the name of one of them because they really are very different...they just both have a leaf-like appearance. Interesting how all three of us put zinger with it...it just seems to go ...like pb&jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it very much. It's not too busy, maybe because of the symmetry...
    I love symmetry....
    Very nice shading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that touch of zinger in there...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you framed the tile with the tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how you use this tangle to teach an important concept in Zentangle. Your tile is charming with the center filled with little Zingers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think it's too busy, it's bursting with life and I think your shading is subtle and very effective. One day, I tell myself, one day...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the use of Zinger. I will have to try that one as an accent.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.